*Please note that we only accept submissions written for the stage or theatre by Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and First Nations artists.
Deadline: August 10, 2020
Native Voices is currently accepting submissions of full-length plays (60+ pages) by Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and First Nations playwrights addressing all themes and topics.
2021 Playwrights Retreat and 27th Festival of New Plays
The Retreat and Festival bring artists to Los Angeles to work on 3–5 plays through a rigorous directorial and dramaturgical commitment for 8–10 days in May/June. The retreat culminates in public staged readings of the plays at the Autry Museum of the American West in Los Angeles. Selected playwrights receive artistic support as well as an honorarium; out-of-town artists receive roundtrip airfare plus lodging in Southern California.
Selection Process: Full-length plays (60+ pages) received by August 10, 2020 will be read and evaluated. A select number of playwrights will be invited to submit formal proposals detailing their developmental goals should their play be chosen for the short list. Scripts will then be sent to a committee of nationally recognized theatre artists for further evaluation. With their help, Native Voices selects up to five plays for the Playwrights Retreat and Festival of New Plays. Playwrights will be notified in January 2021.
2021 OPEN Submission for Production Consideration
We accept scripts all year long. Do you have a full-length script that has been developed and produced that you’d like us to consider for a future Native Voices production in Los Angeles? Please follow the Checklist for All Submissions below and in the Native Voices Script Submission form check the box for 2021 General Submission for Production Consideration.
Months prior to residencies at the Playwrights Retreat and Festival of New Plays, selected playwrights participate in dramaturgical conversations with an assigned director and dramaturg. Workshops with these creative teams and a cast of professional actors commence once the playwright arrives on-site. It is important to note that these conversations and workshops are playwright driven, allowing the writer to shape their own developmental path. Selected playwrights should be prepared to dedicate adequate time to this process prior to arriving on-site.
- Please label script attachment as follows: PlayTitle_Author’s Last Name, First Initial (Example: MyNewPlay_Doe, J.doc).
- All submissions must conform to a standard play-script format (one-inch margins, #12 Times or Courier font, all pages numbered).
- Include a title page with full contact information (mailing address, phone numbers, e-mail address) and a draft or revision date.
- Include a character breakdown at the beginning of your script.
- Provide a biography of 75–100 words. Please label attachment as follows: Bio_Author’s Last Name, First Initial (Example: Bio_Doe, J.doc).
- Provide a press ready photo of at least 300dpi. Please label attachment as follows: Photo_Author’s Last Name, First Initial (Example: Photo_Doe, J.doc).
- Provide development history for the play. Label attachment as follows: DevHistory_PlayTitle_Author’s Last Name, First Initial (Example: DevHistory_MyNewPlay_Doe, J.doc).
- To submit, fill out our online form and upload your submission materials here: Native Voices Script Submission Form
Please do not send treatments or outlines. Previously submitted plays should only be resubmitted if the play has undergone significant dramatic changes. Previously produced plays should be submitted under the 2021 General Submission for Production Consideration. Plays that are not selected are kept on file for consideration for future opportunities. Playwrights are encouraged to make multiple submissions (up to three per event), but selection will be limited to only one play per playwright, per event.
Where to Send Submissions
We now only accept electronic submission (preferably PDF format).
To submit, fill out our online form and upload your materials here: Native Voices Script Submission Form
Please share our call for scripts using this link: https://theautry.org/events/signature-programs/native-voices/annual-call-scripts
Native Voices is Sponsored By
ACTORS’ EQUITY FOUNDATION • DAVID CARTWRIGHT • DEPARTMENT OF CULTURAL AFFAIRS, CITY OF LOS ANGELES • EDISON INTERNATIONAL • JOYCE AND DAVID EVANS • LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF ARTS AND CULTURE • NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS • THE NISSAN FOUNDATION • PETER GLENVILLE FOUNDATION • JEAN BRUCE SCOTT AND RANDY REINHOLZ • SAN MANUEL BAND OF MISSION INDIANS • SEELEY W. MUDD FOUNDATION • SHUBERT FOUNDATION, INC. • SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT • SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA GAS COMPANY • U.S. BANK • THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY